Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Pastel 10 Minute Block




This quilt was made by members of the Crocus Quilt Guild in Dauphin, MB to be used a one of our "comfort quilts."  These quilts are given to individuals in our community that have experienced a loss or illness and could use a boost.  We used the 10 Minute Block Tutorial that can be seen here.   The guild provided the green fabric in the center of the block and guild members were asked to add the pastel fabric and return the blocks to be made in to a quilt top.


We are lucky to have a number of ladies with longarms as well as some domestic machine quilters who graciously offer to quilt these at no charge.  I decided it was my turn to take a quilt and as there was an immediate need, I wanted a pretty but quick design so that we could get the quilt into the hands of the binder.



Here is a short video of how I quilted the flowers motif with a single thread.  I quilt on a longarm, but this design could easily be replicated on a domestic machine.  I did draw a circle to help keep the centers consistent, but for the rest, I was able to use the piecing lines and avoid marking.  And just like in your garden, no two flowers are exactly alike!


I love how the back looks too.  I opted not to quilt anything in the green diamonds this time around.  The batting didn't require the area to be quilted, and since many quilters were involved in the making of this top, I didn't want to draw attention to the differences in how the green diamonds were finished.


In the areas where there wasn't room for a complete flower motif, I opted for some swirls instead. 








2 comments:

  1. The green diamonds are a wonderful link for the pastel fabrics, and love the way you quilted it .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for that groovy little quilting video. Such a great way to quilt ten minute blocks.

    ReplyDelete